Also called Daisetsu-san (大雪山).
Budget: JPY2,900 (~USD28)
- JPY2,900. Bus, Asahikawa Station to Asahidake-onsen (JPY1,450 one way)
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 2,291m / 7,516ft)
- Target: 2021
- Difficulty: 3 out of 5.
- Route below is around 12.0kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲1,227m/ ▽1,227m (7h8m)
- Map Link
When to Go
Throughout the year, as there is a ski resort at the trailhead.
- Loop of Mt. Asahi - Mt. Mt. Tomuraushi - Mt. Tokachi means a four day-3 night hike, covering around 63.7kms, with an elevation change of ▲4,899m/ ▽4,977m.
- Mountain huts.
- Trailheads. The most popular one is Asahidake-onsen, I've listed the others off the internet. Others are also way further.
- Asahidake-onsen (旭岳温泉). Popular for winter ascent and skiing area. It has a ropeway (JPY2,000 one way) that will let you skip around 2 hour hike - JPY2,000,3.5km, 526 elev gain.
- Bus, Asahikawa Station (旭川駅) to Asahidake-onsen (旭岳温泉). JPY1,450 one way. Bus 66, runs throughout the year it seems, schedule here:
- Sounkyo (層雲峡). Also a ski area it seems.
- Bus, Asahikawa Station (旭川駅) to Sounkyo (層雲峡). JPY2,140 one way, Bus schedule here. Careful as the pdf is different for weekdays vs weekends. The earlier one leaves from Kamikawa Station (上川駅)
- Aizankei-onsen (愛山渓温泉). No public transportation. Taxi from Kamikawa Station (上川駅) is around 30 minutes. There's a bus stop to Sounkyo above the passes at Aizankei-iriguchi (iriguchi = entrance), something to consider.
- Tenninkyou-onsen (天人峡温泉). No public transportation. Taxi from Kamikawa Station (上川駅) is around 30 minutes.
- Ginsendai (銀泉台). From Sounkyo (層雲峡), there is a shuttle it seems but I can't find it, sorry.
- Kougen-onsen (高原温泉). From Sounkyo (層雲峡), there is a shuttle it seems but I can't find it, sorry.
- 07:10am. Bus, Asahikawa Station to Asahidake-onsen.
- 08:51am. ETA: Asahidake-onsen.
- 09:00am. Start hike.
- 01:30pm. ETA: Summit.
- 04:08pm. ETA: Asahidake-onsen. Enjoy the onsen.
- 05:30pm. Bus, Asahidake-onsen to Asahikawa Station.