This is unfortunately not really feasible as a dayhike or an overnight hike.
Budget: JPY15,790 (~USD152)
What I have prepared then is a multi-day hike covering Mt. Yakushi - Mt. Kurobegoro - Mt. Washiba - Mt. Suisho loop.
Budget: JPY15,790 (~USD152)
- JPY4,000. Bus, Tokyo to Toyama Station, allocated using Willer Bus Pass
- JPY1,040. Bus, Toyama Sation to Arimineguchi.
- JPY2,500. Bus, Arimineguchi to Oritate.
- JPY4,250. Taxi, Takase dam to Shinano-Omachi Station (JPY8,500 one way, split into two)
- JPY4,000. Bus, Shinano-Omachi Station to Tokyo, allocated using Willer Bus Pass. Otherwise, it's JPY5,200.
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 2,840m / 9,318ft)
- Difficulty: 5 out of 5.
- Route below is around 50.1kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲5,247m/ ▽5,317m
- PDF Map Link
When to Go
It seems that this can be done throughout the year, but prepare for plenty of snow.
Bus access limited to mid-July to mid-September (Oritate), though some trailheads would allow for year-round public transport access (Shin-Hotaka).
- Weather check: English / Japanese. English more detailed, Japanese more accurate.
- Trailheads. Nothing straightforward, and the funny thing is given the scale of the mountain, public transportation will be advantageous so that one can traverse the entire area.
- Shin-hotaka Onsen (新穂高温泉). Refer to Mt. Hotaka post for access.
- Takase Dam (高瀬ダム). Access as follows:
- Bus, Shinjuku Station to Shinano-Omachi Station. Bus schedule here, buses run from April to mid-December. JPY5,200, 5 hours one way. Consider bus pass. For 2020, schedules as follows:
- Shinjuku Bus Terminal to Shinano-Omachi: 6:35am, 7:35am, 9:35am, 3:05pm, 6:15pm, 11:05pm.
- Shinano-Omachi to Shinjuku Bus Terminal: 7:42am, 9:56am, 2:57pm, 3:57pm, 4:40pm, 5:12pm, 7:57pm.
- Taxi, Shinano-Omachi Station to Takase-dam (JPY8,500 one way, 45 minutes). Taxis generally go until Nanakura (七倉), and then transfer at another taxi to go to Takase Dam. Either way, call first at 0261-23-2323 or 0261-22-2121. Taxis are cancelled in case of heavy rain, and only operate from mid April til early November, around 6am til 6pm, depending on the month (schedule here).
- Oritate (折立). Access from Tokyo below. Access from Toyama Station here.
- Train/bus, Tokyo Station to Toyama Station. Consider bus pass.
- Train, Toyama Station (富山駅) to Arimineguchi (有峰口駅)*. JPY1,040, one hour, one way.
- Bus, Arimineguchi (有峰口駅) to Oritate (折立)*. JPY2,500, 55 minutes, one way.As for reference, buses only run from July 17 til October 11 for 2020.
- There is generally a bus that goes straight from Toyama Station to Oritate, but it was not in operation for 2020. It normally is JPY3,500, 2 hours one way. Below is an old flyer, but I would assume that future time tables would be similar.
- Mountain huts.
- Paid. They are all over, practically near every summit. If you're looking for one and can't find any, leave a comment here and I'll update the post.
- Free. Practically none, though there are some close to the trailheads.
- Camping. Plenty close to the trailhead and in between, see the map above.
- 10:10pm. Bus from Tokyo Station Kajibashi Parking lot to Toyama Station.
- 06:05am. Arrival at Toyama Station
- 06:30am. Toyama Station to Oritate.
- 08:30am. ETA: Oritate trailhead. Start hike.
- 01:20pm. ETA: ETA: Yakushi-touge (薬師峠). Set up camp spot.
- 04:00pm. ETA: Mt. Yakushi (薬師岳)
- 05:50pm. ETA: Yakushi-touge (薬師峠). Camp for the night.
- 05:00am. Start hike.
- 10:10am. ETA: Mt. Kurobegoro
- 02:30pm. ETA: 三俣山荘. Set up camp.
- 03:50pm. ETA: Mt Washiba (鷲羽岳)
- 04:40pm. ETA: Back at 三俣山荘. Camp for the night.
- 03:00am. Start hike.
- 05:58am. ETA: Mt. Suisho (水晶岳（黒岳）
- 04:00pm. ETA: 高瀬ダム. Make sure to have a taxi scheduled for pick up.
- 05:00pm. ETA: Shinano-Omachi Station.
- Check the bus schedule, but consider paying and additional 2-3,000 yen to just take the train. Last train is at 7:02pm, JPY7,390 one way.