It was a gorgeous hike along a lush forest next to a river, both in spring and winter, and all I remember was that this mountain annoyingly has two kanjis - 川乗 and 川苔. Heck, even the summit markers use BOTH the kanjis. Outside of that, definitely a recommended mountain.
Budget: JPY2,640 (~USD24)
- JPY1,270. Train, Tokyo to Okutama Station.
- JPY270. Bus, Okutama Station to Kawanori-bashi.
- JPY1,100. Train, Kori Station to Okutama Station.
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 1,363m / 4,472ft)
- July 15, 2017, February 23, 2019
- Difficulty: 3-4 out of 5, depending on your route.
- Route below is around 13.6kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲1,447m/ ▽1,582m (6h15m)
- Map Link
When to Go
Anytime during the year!
- Weather forecast: Japanese.
- Kawanori-hashi (川乗橋). The main trailhead to Mt. Kawanori. Google maps pin, google maps work even with the bus schedule.
- Train, Tokyo to Okutama Station.
- Bus, Okutama Station to Kawanori-hashi. Take bus 奥20 or 奥21. Bus schedule. JPY270, 13 mins one way.
- Okutama Station (奥多摩駅). Easily accessible with public transportation.
- Hatonosu Station (鳩ノ巣駅). Easily accessible with public transportation.
- Kori Station (古里駅). Easily accessible with public transportation.
- Mountain huts.
- Paid. None.
- Free. None
- Camping. None, but some spots throughout for wild camping.
- 04:49am. Train, Tokyo to Okutama Station.
- 07:18am. Arrived at Okutama Station.
- 07:27am. Bus, Okutama Station to Kawanoribashi.
- 07:40am. Arrived at Kawanoribashi. Plenty of other people got off too.
- 09:18am. Arrived at the falls (百尋ノ滝)
- 01:31pm. Arrived at the summit of Mt. Kawanori.
- 02:23pm. Arrived at Mt. Ebigoya (海老小屋山). Went off trail, got lost a bit, got scared a bit, then got back on trail.
- 03:34pm. Arrived at Mt. Akaguna.
- 05:19pm. Arrived at Kori Station, and was soon on our way home.
|Well marked trails.|
|Walking next to the river.|
|Almost to the summit!|
|Summit marker A.|
|Summit marker B. See the different kanji?|
|View at the summit.|
|Beautiful ridge in winter.|
|Some fallen trees, but just had to go around them.|
|A very NOT distinct summit market for Mt. Ebigoya.|
|Accidentally went off trail, got lost a bit, got scared a bit.|
|Seeing Mt. Akaguna's marker, I was just so glad to be back on the trail.|
|Sunset at the station!|