A very chill looking hike, and I'm rather torn if I should stay the night to see the sunrise/sunset.
Budget: JPY3,730 (~USD35)
- JPY1,180. Train, Shin-Aomori Station to/from Hirosaki Station.
- JPY2,550. Bus, Hirosaki Station to/from Iwaki's 8th Station
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 1,625m / 5,331ft)
- Target: 2020
- Difficulty: 2 out of 5
- Route below is around 2.4kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲465m/ ▽465m
- PDF Map Link
When to Go
Buses run from April 1 to end of November, so that might be your constraint.
- Trailhead: Iwaki-choujoueki (岩木山頂駅). There are a couple of ways to get there (just looking at the map, I count five trails), but for this post I'm choosing the one closest to the summit.
- Access to Shin-Aomori. The closest main station is Shin-Aomori Station (新青森駅). If you are from Tokyo, you can go to Aomori via:
- Overnight bus. JPY4,000 one way if using JBL bus pass. Without the pass, it can range from JPY4,000 to JPY9,000 depending on the date, reservations here.
- Bullet train. JPY18,000ish one way. For August 2020 to March 2021, bullet trains are 50% off.
- Train, Shin-Aomori Station (新青森駅) to Hirosaki Station (弘前駅)
- Bus, Hirosaki Station (弘前駅), transfer at Dake-onsen (岳温泉) to Iwakichoujo-eki (岩木山頂駅), which is called 8th station (八台目)
- There is a "Skyline" ticket at JPY2,550 roundtrip, but reservations needed here. This is only available mid-May to end of October.
- Otherwise, the ticket is JPY2,060 one way.
Bus schedule, Hirosaki Station (弘前駅) to Iwaki's 8th Station (八台目)
Transfer at Dake-onsen (岳温泉)
- Mountain huts.
- There's a water source about an hour from the summit, but it is likely just a stream.
- 07:10am. Bus, Hirosaki Station to 8th Station.
- 09:00am. Start hike.
- 10:20am. ETA: Summit
- 11:20am. ETA: 8th Station.
- 11:50am. Bus, 8th Station to Hirosaki Station.