This is an "incidental" mountain for me, and I just plan to do it because of Mt. Jonen. Hence, the more comprehensive post (and options) are in that post, but here's a straightforward simple post if you plan to do this hike ala carte.
Budget: JPY11,860 (~USD112)
- JPY4,820. Two days' worth allocated with Seishun 18 ticket. (if from Tokyo)
- JPY6,040. Taxi share, assuming 2 people. (JPY12,080/2 people)
- JPY6,040. Taxi, Hotaka Station to Mimata.
- JPY6,040. Taxi, Mimata to Hotaka Station.
- JPY1,000. Tent fee.
Hike Date / Difficulty (Elevation: 2,677m / 8,783ft)
- Target 2020
- Difficulty: 3 out of 5.
- Route below is around 11.0 kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲1,534m/ ▽1,534m
- PDF Map Link
When to Go
Probably throughout the year, but the official hiking season is around April to late October.
- Nearby hikes:
- Mt. Jonen (常念岳). They share a trailhead, and doing this mountain just adds 4ish hours (~5kms, ~500m elev gain)
- Mountain huts.
- Paid: Chougatake Hut (蝶ヶ岳ヒュッテ) . Near Chougatake Summit. It's JPY7,500 without meals, reservation via call: 090-1056-3455. Tents at JPY1,000 per person, no reservations needed. It is open until mid-October.
- ???Free: 横尾避難小屋 is 3 hours away (3.4kms, 1,110m descent) from Chougatake Hut, which is really an entire hike on its own. But I'm just putting this out here.
- Trailheads. No public transportation really, but if you think about it, most buses are JPY1,000~JPY2,000 per head, and some require ropeways too that are at least JPY1,000 one way. Bottom line - consider taxis.
- Mimata (三股). No public transportation. Taxi from Hotaka Station (穂高駅) is about 30 minutes, JPY6,040. (source)
- Train. The earliest train to Hotaka Station (Toyoshina Station is about two stations away from Hotaka Station). From here on, taxi is the only way.
- Bullet train. JPY10,930, 214 minutes, earliest will get here at 09:50am.
- Local trains. JPY4,210, 322 minutes, earliest will get here at 10:21am (Seishun 18 ticket can be used, in which case it'll be JPY2,410 one way).
- Taxi. A company provides taxi shuttles, website here. Going from the train station to the trailhead probably is not that big a problem, but finding a taxi from the trailhead back to the bus stop might not be that easy, so consider reserving (via phonecall: 0263-82-3113)
- 04:49am. Train, Iidabashi Station (near Tokyo Station) to Hotaka Station.
- 10:15am. ETA: Toyoshina Station (豊科駅).
- 10:30am. Taxi, Toyoshina Station (豊科駅) to Mimata (三股) trailhead.
- 11:00am. Start hike.
- 04:05pm. ETA: Summit, Chougatake. Camp/stay in mountain hut.
- 05:00am. Start hike.
- 08:30pm. ETA: Back to Mimata (三股) trailhead.
Post a Comment
Comments are like mail in my postbox. Such a nice surprise. ^__^