Torn between the fact that it is SO close to the Sakura Mountain, so I want to do in in spring, yet it's one of the few mountains that is peak-winter friendly... so when should I do it?
Budget: JPY17,000 (~USD150) from Tokyo
- JPY5,500. Bus, Tokyo < > Osaka
- JPY1,500. Hostel near Dotonbori / Namba Station
- JPY10,000. Share in car rental (only two of us)
- Target: 2021
- Difficulty: 4 out of 5.
- Route below is around 25.0kilometers, with an elevation change of ▲1,800m/ ▽1,800m, over two days and 15 hours of hiking. This is based on this log.
- Map Link
When to Go
Throughout the year. The bus runs even in winter.
- Weather check: Japanese
- The official high point is Hakkyougatake (八経ヶ岳), so that's the name to look for on the signs.
- There is a portion of the trail via Yoshino that is off limits to women. It's a religious thing, but if you avoid that section of the hike then Mt. Omine can be summitted.
- Mt. Misen Trailhead (弥山登山口). Google maps pin, no public transportation.
- This should be the west entrance to the tunnel, and that's where you'll see the parking space signs.
- However, as of checking (May, 2022), the tunnel is closed until December 2022, so be careful when selecting the route and ensure that you end up on the east entrance (google maps pin). I'm coming from Osaka, and google maps' route requires me to go past the tunnel. :( So I put in another pin, though this adds about an hour to our drive.
- Tenkawa-kawai Bus Stop (天川川合).
- Train, Kyoto Station to Shimoichiguchi Station.Express: 107 minutes, JPY1,710 one way.
- Local: 126 minutes, JPY1,190 one way.
- Bus, Shimoichiguchi Station (下市口駅) to Tenkawa-Kawai Bus Stop (天川川合), JPY1,130 one way.
- Mountain huts.
- Paid: Misen-goya (弥山小屋). About 30 minutes away from the summit, JPY8,000 with two meals and JPY5,500 no meals. Open from mid-April to mid-November. Reservations at 0747-52-1332.
- Free: Ookamidaira-hinangoya (狼平避難小屋). 65 minutes to Misen-goya above, so about 1.5hours away from the summit.
- Camping. Camp spots available next to the mountain huts above.
- 04:00am. Start driving from Osaka
- 07:00am. ETA: Mt. Misen trailhead
via public transportationReplyDelete
Budget: JPY4,640 (~USD44) from Kyoto
-06:35am. Train, Kyoto Station to Shimoichiguchi Station.
-08:31am. ETA: Shimoichiguchi Station.
-08:47am. Bus, Shimoichiguchi to Tenkawa-kawai.
-09:41am. ETA: Tenkawa-kawai.
-10:00am. Start hike.
-03:10pm. ETA: Emergency hut.
-05:00am. Start hike.
-06:35am. ETA: Summit.
-10:55am. ETA: Tenkawa-kawai.
-11:39am. Bus, Tenkawa-kawai to Shimoichiguchi.
-12:35pm. ETA: Shimoichiguchi Station.
-12:56pm. Train, Shimoichiguchi Station to Kyoto Station.
-15:02pm. ETA: Kyoto Station.